Sunday, February 26, 2012

How old is the star, VY Canis Majoris, and when is it expected to implode?

I know, or I've heard that a Black Hole is no bigger or smaller than it's prior star-form. Correct me if I'm wrong on that but, If a star that is 1000s of times bigger than our massive sun, implodes and causes a black hole of the same magnitude, How strong or how far would its gravitational pull reach? What could we expect to get "sucked" in and never see in the night sky again? I'm just curious and thought I'd ask. Thank you.How old is the star, VY Canis Majoris, and when is it expected to implode?VY Canis Majoris is a long, long way off, and can't do anything to affect the Sun, even if it does become a black hole. (The black hole will be less massive than VY Canis Majoris is now, and so will have even less of a gravitational effect than the star.)



It's not that old---perhaps 10 million years old. But because it's so massive, it may go supernova at any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment